Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Whale Of A Time


I think it's safe to say that a good portion of Americans use the word AWESOME- constantly. That word may have become mainstream in the 80's but unlike big hair, pop rocks and A Flock of Seagulls it has remained. (To be honest I think I only miss Pop Rocks).


No question, "awesome" is WAY overused and let's be honest, rarely are the things that we call "awesome" truly inspire awe. Well, since I've began my journey as a mommy. I have experienced three things that are truly AWESOME.



1) Growing another human being inside of me.

2) Bringing that little person into the world in water and without drugs or complications (thank God!)

3) Being merely feet away from the largest mammal on the planet.


This was the 1st Blue Whale we saw surface. My Daddy took this great shot.

I know number 3 may seem like it came out of nowhere, but after a family outing in Southern California to Dana Point for the Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching tour this summer I don't think I will EVER look at the ocean and the incredible creatures that reside in it the same way again.
As someone who grew up watching PBS nature specials and National Geographic I was well aware of the existence of whales, dolphins and other marine life, but there is NOTHING that compares to seeing them live, within a reachable distance AND in their NATURAL ENVIRONMENT!!! So AWESOME!
 
Check out the gorgeous tail on this sucker.

This was supposed to be a special outing for my mom's birthday but it was like everyone got a gift when we saw two enormous Blue Whales surfaced for air then make their graceful and grand re-entry into the water. 

I really can't say enough good things about our experience. I was initially afraid we wouldn't see "anything cool" because apparently a legendary school of 10,000 dolphin had migrated earlier in the month and we missed it. But the cool thing is there is ALWAYS something to see on one of these tours no matter what time of year you head out there. 

The only downside for me was experiencing some sea sickness, but after having 3 months of constant nausea while prego that was nothing. Fortunately, the boat also packs a nice little snack bar and I indulged in a 7Up or two to calm my gut and of course I had my essential oils! My Peppermint and Digestzen not only helped me but another young girl keep our heads up and enjoy the fun.


Our guide for 2-hour Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching tour was funny and informative. It truly was the perfect family outing- fun, educational and then when you get back to land there are plenty of little places to grab something yummy to eat.

This was something I would have never considered doing had I not been contacted by a super cool rep from Dana Wharf. I cannot thank her enough for taking such good care of me and my family. 
My parents had a blast and Baby Bean was so excited she passed out!

Although Baby Bean may not remember coming into such close contact with one the largest mammals on this planet- she's got plenty of pics to look at and a plush little porpoise named Pete from the gift shop.




If you're like me and you're taking this whole "Mom thing" seriously then you are doing your best to have a balanced life of learning and fun with your little one. Well, I was able to incorporate both with a family outing to Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching and I highly recommend it whether or not you live in SoCal or are planning a visit. It should definitely be on your itinerary. And if you're a fisherman this just may be your heaven on Earth!

For more information on Dana Wharf visit: www.danawharf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment