Thursday, May 24, 2012

I’m Bugging Out!



Lately I've been feeling like the star of Dexter...you know the TV show based on American Psycho.  

It's because of the private scenarios of mini-deaths that are taking place in my home on an almost daily/nightly basis now that warm weather is upon us and the doors and windows are open. I am metaphorically talking about the war I've waged with insects in my house. Insects that primarily include flies (regular & fruit), gnats, mosquitoes (especially) and an occasional spider whose over stepped his or her bounds. I try to do the "catch & release" thing with spiders because they "get" the bad bugs for me.
 

That's been ingrained in me for years because my father used to scold me for killing spiders as a child. But when it comes to a Black Widow's life or mine or my family's guess who's spinning their great web in the sky.

For the record I have NEVER been a lover of bugs. In fact when I had to do my bug collection for Mrs. Halstead's 6th grade biology class. I subcontracted the work to my little brother. That's actually my nice way of saying I asked him to do his little brotherly/ little boy duties and he saw a business opportunity and charged me anywhere from a nickel to a quarter per bug.


Twenty-some years later I find myself in a similar predicament- having to take the life of a bug- but not for a grade just my own piece of mind. I now though have more of a conscious about it. I mean is it a life. It probably has a family somewhere possibly offspring. Is that me feeling closer to the God/The Creator/The Universe? Or am I just getting all "motherly"?

No comments:

Post a Comment